This week I have been working on a mixed media collage piece using a limited colour palette (something I usually find really hard to do!). I challenged myself to create a background using printed images of vintage text and then creating some artwork over the top.
After printing off some vintage text onto white paper, I ripped the sheets up into random sized pieces and glued down. I gave the background a good hour to dry before using a child’s sponge brush to apply watered down acrylic print all over the background. Some areas I applied the acrylic paint thicker than others, so as to give a more opaque look.
I then gave this another hour to dry before creating the flowers and leaves that would be the main images. First I drew the flowers, just roughly with a pencil and then went over with a black pen. Then I painted in the image I had just drawn with white acrylic paint. Once dry, I started applying my detail using a black ink pen and white gel pen.
I found the limited colour palette challenging as I usually work with several colours if not all colours, but I’m happy with the outcome!